Did you know that people have been losing teeth — and trying to replace them — since ancient times? For most of history, people’s attempts to restore their smiles were imperfect at best, involving materials that likely deteriorated quickly and were cumbersome and uncomfortable to wear.
A big leap forward occurred in the 20th century, with the introduction of acrylic resin into denture making.
But, when it comes to teeth replacement, the biggest game-changer came later, with the invention of the dental implant. What makes dental implants so revolutionary? Well, for one thing, they are not a denture at all. They are a true tooth replacement, down to the root. So they feel and function like the real thing.
If you have missing teeth and would like to learn more about dental implants, call
Accura Dental, located in Colorado Springs, CO at 719-249-2854 or fill out our convenient online form. We will be happy to discuss your options and walk you through the process.
Why are Dental Implants Better Than Dentures?
Dental implants are better than traditional dentures because, in short, they work just like real teeth. Whereas dentures sit on top of the gums, dental implants fuse to your jawbone. This means:
- They look like natural teeth and are permanent (you never take them out)
- No special care routine. You brush and floss like normal.
- Unlike dentures, dental implants will not slip around in the mouth or impede speech. There is no risk of them falling out.
- Dental implants feel like your natural teeth. There is no discomfort, which can occur with dentures.
- You can eat whatever you want with confidence and comfort.
- No messy adhesives required. Dental implants become a part of you.
- Unlike with a convention bridge, you do not need to shave down adjacent teeth for dental implants.
- Your smile — and self-confidence — will be restored.
The Dental Implant Process
Dental implant surgery is performed in stages, as healing time is required as part of the process. Here is an overview of what you can expect.
- First, we will conduct a thorough examination of your mouth and create a custom treatment plan.
- If we determine your jawbone is not thick or strong enough to support the dental implant, we will need to perform a bone graft. Once the graft procedure is complete, it will need time to heal and grow new bone.
- The next step is to surgically place the actual dental implant, which is a metal post that we insert into your jawbone. As you heal from this procedure, bone will grow around the implant, fusing it permanently into place. We can give you a temporary crown so you don’t have to walk around with a gap in your teeth.
- A few months after the post is placed, we attach the abutment, which holds the replacement tooth, or crown.
- A custom-made, perfectly lifelike crown is attached to the abutment, giving you your smile back.
If you have missing teeth, a dental implant is your best bet for restoring your smile to its previous glory. Call the Colorado Springs, CO office of Accura Dental at 719-249-2854 to learn more about this life-changing procedure.